Cape Cod may be the place to be in the summer, but that doesn’t mean that once the vacationers are gone, there aren’t still fun things to do with the family. The Cape is a vibrant community year-round, so whether you’re looking to keep the kids occupied over break or just want to get out of the house, here are five great activities to do on the Cape this winter.
See a show
There are plenty of shows and other live performances that take place throughout the year. Here are a few upcoming events and venues to check out:
- Falmouth Theater Guild
- Currently in its 61st season, the Falmouth Theater Guild operates out of the historic Highfield Theater at Highfield Hall in Falmouth. This winter, they will be performing Say it Again, Sam. For tickets, click HERE.
- Cape Cod Symphony
- The Cape Cod Symphony, located in Barnstable, puts on a medley of engaging performances, led by Artistic Director and Conductor, Jung-Ho Pak. A few of their upcoming shows include The Ring, Carmen, and The Wizard of Oz. To learn more about the Symphony, click HERE.
- Flapjack! Comedy Shows
- Flapjack Comedy Productions brings the best comedians from around the country to Cape Cod. Their next show will take place at the Seacrest Beach Hotel in Falmouth and features Steve Sweeney, Drew Dunn and Ryan Douglass. You can find more information HERE.
Visit a Museum
You don’t have to travel to Boston to visit a great museum; the Cape has its own dynamic history and a passionate art community that spans back hundreds of years. Here are just a few of the great museums to visit this winter:
Take a Tour
Cape Codders know there’s nothing better than getting something fresh from the source. Bring the whole family and try all the great foods, beer and wine that Cape Cod has to offer.
- Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory
- Ever wondered how they make their chips taste so good? Take a free tour Monday through Friday at their factory in Hyannis.
- Cape Cod Beer
- This kid- and dog-friendly taproom is open for tours and tastings almost every day of the week.
- Truro Vineyards
- For just $10 per person, you can sample five delicious wines and take home a souvenir glass.
Take a Hike
If you’re brave enough, there are a number of great hiking trails that will keep you active during the winter months. Here are just a few:
- Beebe Woods – Falmouth
- Ryder Conservation – Sandwich
- Scussett Beach State Reservation – Sagamore
- Sandy Neck Nature Trail – Barnstable
- Crowes Pasture – East Dennis
Plan a Staycation
If you’re looking to get out of the house, plan a night away at one of Cape Cod’s amazing hotels. During the off-season, rates are lowered dramatically, often one-third to one-half peak season prices!
- Chatham Inn at 359 Main
- Plan a getaway at one of the most romantic hotels in the country. The Chatham Inn also features Chatham Wine Bar & Restaurant, voted the #1 restaurant on Cape Cod.
- Mansion House
- If you’re really looking to get away, take a trip to Martha’s Vineyard and stay at Mansion House. Guests enjoy free, complete use of the Vineyard Health Club which includes an Olympic pool, steam room, spa and much more!
However you plan to spend your winter, be sure to take advantage of all that Cape Cod has to offer. Summer will be back before we know it.